Monday, July 07, 2008

Of Manholes and Bruised Knees

I just got off the Ikot jeep at the park last Thursday evening and was to start my march towards our crib (by the way its about a 100 meters or maybe more) when I heard my phone sound. After not having received any text message from anyone for one whole day, I was quite excited to open my phone and see who has disrupted my oh-so-boring text life.

A smile crossed my face when I saw my roommie's name on my message inbox asking me where I was and where do I plan to eat dinner. Excited after having a very hectic "reading" day (I will be having my first research report the next day), I immediately pressed the reply button of my phone and began rummaging the keypads for a very quick "yep,m on my way".

Just as I was about to send the message, I somehow noticed the ground shaking. I did not exactly pay attention when suddenly I found myself a little lower than the sidewalk I was supposed to be walking in. Then all of a sudden, I lost my balance and found myself in a position where my one hand is tightly holding my phone and the other on the rim of a manhole! Can you believe it? I fell in a manhole!!!

I looked around and saw that there was this guy at the shed not so far away looking at me. I really did not try to look closely and I am not exactly sure if he was smiling or worse, laughing at me. I could not care less. I tried to muster some guts, tried my best to get a grin on my face, and pull myself up out of that [thank-heavens] dry manhole. Good thing it was already dark or the people who might have seen me could have noticed how I turned red with shame. It's like placing a big placard on my forehead marked with a very big "stupid".

Geez, we had an incredible laughtrip when I reached home after telling everyone what happened to me. No one would have believed me at first but seeing those super dark bruises on my knees, you would not dare say I was lying. How could I? Hehe...

No comments: